Positive Behavior Support in Schools
P.B.S.I.S. is a multi-tiered system of support to foster learning environments that contribute to everyone…
- Being safe emotionally, physically, and socially.
- Experiencing success every day.
- Receiving what they need to be successful.
- Working together to achieve goals.
- Feeling welcomed and valued.
- Further developing their strengths.
Positive Behavior Supports in Schools- Benefits
- Improves school culture.
- Builds social skills.
- Reduces office discipline referrals.
- Reduces suspensions.
- Increases instructional time.
- Improves social and emotional development.
- Improves school safety.
- Increases student engagement.
Expectations Vs. Rules
Expectations tend to focus on the things your students can do whereas rules often focus on the things students can’t do.
At Peter Muschal Elementary School, we have three expectations for all of our students and staff;
- Be respectful at all times
- Be accountable at all times
- Be productive at all times
We have created a schoolwide matrix that helps to communicate our expectations here in school. Our staff will focus on using specific language that focuses on positive behavior and outcomes and students are provided incentives to work towards academic and social expectations.