Hello! As one of the two speech language pathologist at Peter Muschal, I would like to share some information with you about the delivery of services as well as communication disorders in general.
Direct speech therapy will begin on September 19th. Your child will receive a speech folder containing a schedule of the days and times of their speech/language therapy sessions. It is crucial to work together to build your child's communication skills so please check for progress notes in your child's speech folder.
Communication skills are possibly the most important skill your child can acquire. Communication skills allow your child to express themselves, understand the world around them and learn new skills in school. The following is an overview of typical speech and language services:
- Articulation/Oral Motor Therapy:
- Children who experience difficulty producing speech sounds. Additionally, some children experience weak tongue or lip muscles, as well as, some difficulties coordinating movement of structures in the mouth during speech.
- Voice/Fluency Therapy:
- Children who experience hoarse or raspy voice quality. Children who experience repetition or prolongation of sounds, words or phrases during speech.
- Language Therapy:
- Children who have difficulty understanding or using language such as delayed vocabulary, syntax/grammar or answering/asking questions.
- Auditory Processing:
- Children who experience difficulty distinguishing and discriminating speech sounds, difficulty understanding in background noise, comprehending word meaning, sequencing skills and/or problem solving.
- Pragmatic Language:
- Children who experience difficulty using language in social contexts such as greeting others, introducing conversations, making eye contact and/or using proper body language.
- Hearing Impairment and the Hearing Handicapped:
- Children who experience hearing loss may receive therapy for articulation, voice and/or language.
If you have any concerns about your child's communication skills, please contact me. I look forward to another great year and working with you to help your child develop better communication skills.
Chelsea Kehr, M.S., CCC-SLP
(609)- 298-2600 X4261